Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Keen-what??

"Quinoa."

"Keen – what??"

Repeat.

Most people have not heard of the whole grain, quinoa, pronounced “keen wah.”  And the above is basically how that conversation goes.  Attempting to spell it doesn’t really help much either.  People look at me like I am speaking kung fu. 

Some people are more health savvy and this is old hat, especially Pacific North Westerners.  I’ve yet to meet someone here who has not heard of quinoa; although in all fairness, most of the quinoa we get in the US is grown west of the Rockies; it was only really introduced to North America in the early 1980s.  However for many of us, this glorious grain is still quite new to our palates.  

Just 4 years ago, I had never heard of it and now, we make it practically every week; it's one of the darlings of my kitchen.

Now that I think back, the first time I had ever heard of this legendary whole grain goes a little like this: 

I was visiting family on Long Island, NY.  I was with my grandma…who by the way is quite the catch… a salsa dancer, lover of red wine, cycles centuries, beautiful…she likes to go on bike rides and jogs with her kids and grandkids so we can eat her dust. I’m not lying, ask any one of us.  And she does indeed have rocking calves, which you can’t help but notice while choking on pebbles and dodging the pavement she is kicking up… Ok, I’m with my hot grandma, with two of her wonderful friends, out on a boat on a gorgeous summer day in Massapequa; her friends have a friend who was visiting from Florida… He was a super neat guy who left Wallstreet to pursue his passions of being a cycling instructor and a chef in a Latin Fusion restaurant in Miami.  I remember asking him what his favorite thing to cook was (because for some reason, I always ask people what their favorite things are… why do I do this??)  He says, “Quinoa.”  I say: “keen – what??”  And repeat.  I had never heard of this food this guy was talking about. In fact, I wasn’t even convinced it existed.  I smiled like wow… and thought this dude is making this up.  Or he lives on the edge eating this fancy food that probably no one else has heard of.  This was only 2007.  (My, I’ve come a long way.)

History
Native to Peru, quinoa has been around for thousands of years.  It’s an ancient grain, held sacred and cherished first by the Incan Indians; it was their “mother grain," affectionately known as “chisaya mama.”   For the record, it’s actually a seed, but it makes all our lives easier just to call it a grain since we use it like one, so let’s go with it.

I am always fascinated by foods that are strong and durable, able to grow in any conditions.  Quinoa is like that; it can grow in poor soil, high altitudes, cold air and in the heat of the sun.  Energetically, I believe that imparts a similar strength to us, making it an even richer food source then just its nutrient offering.  It’s drying and warming, which is another reason I can see why it’s a beloved grain of North Westerners during our cold, rainy seasons.

Here’s what it looks like growing… beautiful isn't it?
Photo via

Here's what it looks like uncooked
Photo via


And, here's what it looks like cooked; it fluffs up 3x its size and shoots out these little curlicues
Photo via

Where can I buy it?
Definitely natural markets, however, most grocery stores are carrying it these days.  I find it’s much cheaper and fresher in the bulk bins so always look for it there.  You may even run across black or red quinoa.  Those are just as nutritious and have a slightly different flavor.  Go crazy.

How do I store it?
Store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.  It will keep for up to 3-6 months.  I keep mine in a mason jar in my pantry.  Actually, there is a picture of my exact mason jar filled with quinoa on the top left, the "home" jar.

Here are several reasons to meet quinoa and make it a part of your weekly menu or appreciate it all the more if you already eat it:
·         It’s convenient --- in 15 minutes, you have a tasty and healthful whole grain ready to go
·         It’s a complete protein containing all essential amino acids; no other grain can tout that profile
·         It’s especially high in lysine, an essential amino acid that helps with tissue growth and repair
·         It's a budget-friendly way to make a balanced meal with a vegetarian protein source
·         It’s also a good protein to prepare in advance and pack for backpacking and camping trips
·         It’s also high in iron and calcium (two seriously lacking nutrients in the American diet), as  well as B vitamins and other nutrients
·         It’s easy to digest
·         It’s an excellent addition to an anti-inflammatory diet
·         It’s gluten-free and should especially be a staple in the diets of those who can’t have  wheat gluten or who are celiacs
·      It's very versatile and can be used in savory or sweet dishes
·         It has a fabulous taste and distinct texture

How do I cook it?  
Oh, glad you asked.  A simple recipe is below, which you’ll soon commit to memory… and then you’ll be making it like a pro in no time! 

P.s. 
It’s a good habit to rinse the quinoa before cooking in case there are any bitter saponins left on it.

I’ll post more quinoa recipes in the future, but for now, I wanted to get the basic recipe out.  Be creative with it and use it however you like.  Feel free to drop a comment and share what’s your favorite way to have quinoa.  (See, here I go wanting to know your favorites. I can’t help myself.)

Simple Quinoa
___________________________

This ancient Incan grain is a must-have in every home pantry. It’s gluten-free, easy to digest, a complete protein, has a fabulous texture and delightfully nutty, earthy flavor. You can cook it in water, stock or any other infused liquid of your choice.  This versatile grain is ready to go in 20 minutes and serves well by itself as a side, in soups, salads, casseroles, under stir fries, eggs, you name it.
___________________________


Preparation time: 15 minutes
Yields 3 cups

1 cup quinoa
1¾ cup liquid
½ teaspoon sea salt

If you’d like a nuttier flavor, you can dry toast the quinoa in a skillet over medium-high heat.  It will turn golden, begin to pop a little and give off a nutty smell in about 3 minutes or so.  Shake the pan around to make sure it doesn’t burn.  You can skip this step if you’d like.

Combine all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.  As with any grain, do not stir.  To check if the quinoa is ready, tip the pot to the side. If all liquid is gone, it’s ready.  Remove from the heat and remove the lid.  Allow it to rest for 5-10 minutes.  Fluff with a fork and salt to taste.  Serve and enjoy!


Copyright 2010, S. Nester, Original recipe

3 comments:

  1. OK, I'm your biggest fan! :)
    We have fallen in LOVE with Quinoa. I first learned about it when my son started to eat his first foods and needed a gluten free diet. That was 2006, it was hard to figure out just what to do with it, so we stopped using it, but now I know I can do everything with it and we have made it our new weekly habit! Our current addiction is a mind altering dish of Quinoa with Soft Boiled Eggs. It is so simple, you can keep a batch of cooked quinoa in the fridge for convenience, then make 1-2 four minute soft boiled eggs and you have a comforting easy YUMMY breakfast packed full of protein. So Good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i might have to try toasting this, like you mention! but my favorite way to eat quinoa is for breakfast, like oatmeal! i like to add bananas and walnuts. and butter of course. lots and lots of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks April - you are the quinoa queen! Thanks for sharing your dish - I love it with eggs too.

    Britt - your cereal sounds delicious! Such a good cereal for Henry as well.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind!

Click the comments link below the post to share your thoughts.