Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lemon Peppered Fiddlehead Ferns


I spotted these vibrant green, rustic, whimsical cuties at my local natural foods market and I couldn't resist.  Now that spring is in swing, I've been itching to get outside and wild forage for my meals like a true wilderness girl, which I like to pretend I am in my nonexistent spare time --- hence the purchase of wild foraged foods FROM the market.  



I sautéed them in olive oil, fresh minced garlic, sea salt and pepper (which you can never go wrong with, right?).  I squeezed some fresh lemon on at the end for a little jazz.  The taste reminds me of a cross between asparagus and the stalk of broccoli.  I'm liking it.    



Which by the way, just because they were at the grocery store looking all sexy on the shelf doesn't mean they don't come with some precautions.  Fiddleheads may be toxic if consumed raw.  It's a good idea to give them a good rinse, then steam them for about 15 minutes and finish them with a sauté.  Make sure they no longer taste bitter and are thoroughly cooked, tender yet still with a little crisp.


Though they come with a small warning, definitely don't run away from them.  They have too much goodness to offer!  Fiddlehead ferns are packed with minerals and vitamins, especially vitamins A and C; and the minerals calcium and potassium.  They also contain omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. Bonus.  


They are known for boosting the immune system and for having cancer-preventative properties.  They are highly regarded as a delicacy item across many cultures and are typically only available in markets in the early spring, April thru May.  If you spot them, don't pass them up!


Growing in the wild (photo via)

When selecting fiddleheads, look for a bright green color, firmness, small ones with a nice tight curl, since they are best harvested in development before the curl uncoils.  Enjoy them as soon as possible and don't let them hang out in the fridge too long. 

If you're feeling spunky and want to harvest your own, I recommend doing a little research first (as with any wild edibles).  Here's one site that has a few quick tips for picking fiddleheads.

What do you think?  Do they look like something crazy Tim Burton might serve you for dinner or are they totally adorable?

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I can't imagine foraging for my foods, I'd be nervous - this is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's exciting and empowering, but definitely wise to do some research beforehand so you know what to look for!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind!

Click the comments link below the post to share your thoughts.