Thursday, July 14, 2011

Vanilla Chamomile Kudzu Pudding

Ok, admittedly, this recipe seems more like a winter treat.  It’s supposedly July in Seattle, but not really. I mean what the heck is up with summer?  It came late, sort of said hello for a day or two, went away and came back for a second --- all of which is debatable and is subject to change depending on who you talk to.

Anyway, who knows what’s up.  What I do know is, if the season can’t make up its mind, then a bit of a warming dessert in mid July isn’t totally off the mark.   All in all, this pudding is comforting and after a long day, it totally hits the spot. 

So, I have a thing for infusing teas into desserts.  I especially have a thing for chamomile.  By that I mean, I am unendingly impressed with both its flavor and medicinal profiles.  Therapeutically, it:   

·         soothes and comforts
·         relieves insomnia and eases tension in the body
·         calms frazzled nerves and melts away the stress and anxieties of the day
·         strengthens the immune system
·         supports digestive health (including nausea or upset stomach)
·         can be used topically for sunburn

Speaking of which, I got awfully scorched (understatement) by the sun a couple weeks ago while in Montana.  I sort of took a little nap on a lounge chair on the back deck.  To my defense, that bright, glowing thing in the sky had been foreign to me for so long that I kind of forgot that I could get so badly burned by it.  Chamomile is one herb I like to keep in my first aid kit for such times as these because of its super anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. 

And, chamomile tastes just lovely.  Actually, it’s said to be reminiscent of apples.  I found this out last summer while moseying through the culinary herb beds at my local farm.  A very sprightly 10-year-old boy standing next to me gleefully plucked off a fresh chamomile flower and popped it into his mouth.  He turned to me and commanded, “Here, try one.  They taste just like apple pie!”  I’m thinking, who is this confident kid that goes around eating plants persuading strangers to do the same all while making claims that they taste like all-American desserts?  I accepted his offer… mostly because I had a feeling I would have felt terribly uncool if I didn’t.  I closed my eyes and waited for the aroma or something apple, anything apple. I wanted him to be right.  He was!  It did indeed have a unique, sweet flavor that sang a little like a warm apple. 



You get the idea. Chamomile is special --- a must-have herb in the home medicine cabinet and the home pantry.

Cinnamon sticks, dried chamomile flower and vanilla bean
This recipe is soft and mellow, though overflows with the flavors of vanilla, chamomile and cinnamon, all of which are kings in their own right when it comes to the essential oils they bear.  However, the real medicinal superstar of this dish is the kudzu root, pronounced kud– zoo.  Similar to chamomile, kudzu is also extraordinarily therapeutic.  It too relaxes tense muscles and supports digestive health. 

Kudzo root
It’s a highly respected root of a noxious weed and has been appreciated for hundreds of years, most notably in Traditional Chinese Medicine.  It’s also good for hangovers, headaches and is said to help alcoholics with withdrawal.  

In this recipe its other functional role is that of a thickening agent and makes this pudding, well pudding-y.  Look for this chalky root in your natural food markets. You can use it in place of corn starch and arrowroot to thicken sauces, pie filling and soups too. 

Be sure to get the cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean from the bulk spice section of the store.  There is no comparison to fresh, whole spices.  


Actually, when I first made this recipe, I put the whole cinnamon stick in the milk and let it infuse for a little while.  (The recipe below doesn’t include this step and has been shortened to save time.)  I didn’t want to just throw it away when I was done with the dish, so I chewed on the deliciously spicy, milk-soaked cinnamon stick for a little while to savor it just a little longer --- much like a country boy from Virginia would do with a toothpick after a good solid meal from Cracker Barrel.  (Anyone from VA reading this?… you know what I mean!)  Of course, I haven’t perfected the skill of vertically flipping the cinnamon stick with my tongue.  Yet.

Treat yourself and some loved ones to this Vanilla Chamomile Kudzu Pudding as a calming and comforting evening dessert to help unwind from the day and settle in for the night. You can serve it chilled, but I particularly enjoyed it warm.  It’s a pretty simple recipe though make sure you fully dissolve the kudzu first in the cooled tea and whisk constantly once you add the slurry to the warm milk in order to prevent the kudzu from clumping.


Vanilla Chamomile Kudzu Pudding

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Calming and comforting, this pudding is a sweet and lovely evening dessert.  Kudzu root is a fantastic thickening agent, but better yet, it has an extraordinary range of medicinal benefits from acute pain relief to a soothing digestive aid.  Serve warm or chilled, but definitely don’t leave out the freshly ground cinnamon!
______________________________________________________________


Preparation time: 25 minutes
Makes 4 6-ounce servings or 6 4-ounce servings

2 tablespoons dried chamomile flowers
1½ cups boiling water
3 cups whole milk
3-4 tablespoons sucanat, ground
½ vanilla bean pod, split lengthwise
Pinch of sea salt
1 cinnamon stick, ground
3 heaping tablespoons kudzu root

Make a strong tea by steeping the chamomile in the hot water for 10 minutes.  Cover tea with a small plate so the essential oils do not escape.  Strain out the chamomile flowers and set the tea aside to cool. 

Pour milk into a heavy-bottomed pot and bring to a gentle simmer.  Add sugar and whisk to dissolve.  Scrape the vanilla bean seeds into the pot.  Toss in the vanilla bean shell, the salt and half of the freshly ground cinnamon.  Continue to simmer for 2-3 minutes to infuse the flavors.

Meanwhile, crush the kudzu root using a mortar and pestle or with the back of a spoon.  Combine about 1/3 cup of the cooled chamomile tea with the kudzu root and whisk with a fork to dissolve and create a slurry.  Fish out the vanilla bean from the warm milk.  Add the kudzu slurry and whisk continually for about 5-10 minutes while still cooking over gentle heat.  Do not stop whisking or the kudzu will gel and clump.  Pudding will begin to thicken and will continue to do so as it sits.   Pour warm pudding into 4 6-ounces ramekins (or 6 4-ounce ramekins).  Garnish the tops with the remaining ground cinnamon.  


Copyright 2011, S. Nester, Original recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind!

Click the comments link below the post to share your thoughts.