Monday, November 15, 2010

I love My Local Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)

I’m the teary-eyed girl you see picking fresh flowers, the one you see lost in gaze at the array of culinary herb beds. Not because of allergies or contact issues, but because I can’t believe I get to pick all the herbs and flowers I want. I feel like it’s a crime some days. Ok, there is usually a “2 cup” rule on the basil, but I was making basil, nettle, kelp pesto that week and who is going to tell the crybaby she can’t have 4 cups of basil?

And the flowers, I get to smell them and admire them all week long. They hold nicely in a simple quart mason jar in the center of my small, round wooden kitchen table and they literally make me smile almost every time I look at them. And sunflowers… rows of them, deep yellows, brown, reds, all tall and strong. They are my favorite flower.



Photo by Shelly Nester - Quillisascut Farm

I am seriously sad that the season has come to an end.
In a typical week in September, I would get: a head of lettuce, a bunch of beets, carrots, turnips, kohlrabi, 6-8 squash, head of Chinese broccoli, onions, pumpkins and free pickings of the Swiss chard and kale fields. Again, I feel lucky.

So I should back up… what exactly is a CSA?


I like the way The Root Connection CSA states it, “A CSA is of a community of individuals who pledge support to a farm. Members purchase "shares" in the farm's bounty from June to October, and get the satisfaction of reconnecting to the land and participating directly in the food that they eat. “

Pretty simple. You typically pay up front at the beginning of the season covering some of the initial growing cost. Shares might range from $20-$35 a week depending on the CSA. Once a week, I drive to the farm and stuff a couple of bags with fresh vegetables that were
harvested that morning. The people that work there are nothing short of awesome and these people know all things gardening, farming and cooking --- thank God someone told me what the heck to do with kohlrabi.

….I mean have you seen kohlrabi? Maybe this is a Northwest thing, but this Virginia girl has never seen nor heard of this pale green, alien-octopus looking veggie until this past summer. It's kind of like a turnip meets a cucumber. It's crisp, sweet and perfect julienned in salads.



Ok, so once I load up on the vegetables, I then have free reign out in the “u-pick” fields to get fresh herbs, greens and flowers. I bring these babies home and enjoy them all week long. One share is usually enough for a family of 4.


This is hands down the highlight of the week. Not only do I love my CSA because I know the food I am eating is coming from rich, pesticide-free, healthy soil, that I am supporting local farmers and sustainable farming practices, but it’s because I get re-centered there.






I walk through aisles of red, yellow and magenta chard and am in awe of how these brilliant colors occur naturally.


I smell the eclectic variety of mints: ginger, pineapple, chocolate and fantasize about what dishes they might find a home in.


I get inspired here.

I reconnect and my stress from the week melts away. I feel peaceful, clearheaded and present. A sense of gratitude sweeps over me, gratitude for fresh air, for the open sky, for the ground beneath my feet and for the privilege of knowing where my food is coming from. Being at the farm reminds me to keep life simple, and who couldn’t use that gentle reminder every once in a while?

3 comments:

  1. Your CSA sounds amazing! Are they all like that? I feel like the ones here just give you your bags of produce to take with you for the week - I'm not sure if you can actually go pick out your flowers and herbs?

    But you have me convinced! This spring I may look into joining one. I know they fill up fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True - it does vary by CSA. Some are smaller scale and some larger so you have to talk to them and see what they have to offer... and most are open to suggestions if there is something in particular you are looking for. Also, find out how many family members a share can feed... sometimes it's worth going in on a share with another couple or a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wahh, I hate that the season is over... I LOVE THE ROOT CONNECTION!!! Yay... feel the exact same way going there as you!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind!

Click the comments link below the post to share your thoughts.