Monday, December 13, 2010

Soup Fever and Christmasing It Up


For one, it’s snowing out and it looks like a winter wonderland here at Chateau de Pickering (the affectionate name we gave to our friends’ Peter & Robyn’s home, which is a lovely 50s brick house nestled in 5 beautifully wooded acres, equipped with fig trees, grape vines, deer, raccoon and their very own bamboo forest ... seriously!)

For two, I’m on break and officially done with my fall quarter at Bastyr – WAHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!






For three, for four and for five…
I am in Virginia visiting family and friends. Many of them are either: in final exams week, working their arses off in retail management; moms that work part-time, home school and do everything else in between… some are busy working full-time while being a new mom, or others are just busy working! All of which, I’ve come to the conclusion, need some delicious homecooked meals to fuel them through these chilly, busy and stressful days around the holidays.

(Photo: leaving Seattle with a view of Mt Rainier from the plane)

I’ve got soup fever.
I’m making lots of soup this week; some good old staples and some creations for the adventurous palettes (meaning in case I screw it up or get heavy handed with the spices, which has been known to happen... people will eat it anyway).

Today the creation was a creamy squash soup (3 different varieties of squash) with caramelized onions, apples and warming spices (coriander, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, white pepper) paired with --- the beloved emerald city salad with collards, fennel, red bell, parsley, red cabbage, wild mahogany rice, topped with rotisserie chicken and dressed with olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.


In the midst of all this cooking and Christmasing it up in VA, I am...

...Being blissfully paralyzed by an incredibly adorable 4-month old falling asleep in my arms. Of which made me an hour late for dinner plans and for which I was completely unapologetic. There was no where else I would rather be, obviously.


...Completely and utterly amused by dogs that wear “snoods” -- meet Jan the greyhound.



...Drinking delicious French-pressed coffee made for me by a good friend.




... opening presents early given by mother Christmas herself (aka Robyn)


...And attempting to make homemade eggnog. Stay tuned for adventures in eggnogging with a recipe to follow ...

3 comments:

  1. WOAH come on over with that eggnog! Yum!!

    So good having you here in VA. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggnog being held hostage until i get to see your adorable baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me need egg nog recipe when I see you. Luv egg nog.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind!

Click the comments link below the post to share your thoughts.