Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Before the New Year...

The other day, I was just sitting around with grungy hair, no make up, in my PJs, around 1PM eating leftover lasagna for "breakfast," all while trying to pretend I don't have 500 loads of laundry to do --- that is once I actually unpack from our 2-week trip to VA. Which by the way, why on earth did I pack so much crap?



So goes by another couple of days.  I have been sleeping in, napping, not cleaning my house or myself during this time...because I'd rather be sleeping.  Hey, don't judge.  I did brush my teeth, just for the record. And instead of unpacking our luggage like a normal human being, our house looked like our luggage upchucked our clothes all over our living room.  And who wants to clean that up? 


I just want to stare at a wall for a couple days. 


It's probably a combination of the intense quarter at school, stress, not eating as well as I'd like, flying across the country the day school ended, not sleeping in my own bed, etc. I sincerely needed some down time.  And I picked up a cold while in VA, maybe from all the cooties on the plane... who knows. 


Speaking of gross things on a plane. I yawned, as one would do after traveling for 10 hours. And for some reason, my husband finds it amusing to stick his finger in my wide open mouth.  He always does this when I yawn.  And everytime it is as funny as the first time to him.   He did this on the plane but this time quickly pulled his hand away, with a slightly shocked look on his face and said, "Whoops.  Sorry. I don't know where my hands have been today."  Ugh. DISGUSTING. 


Anyway, being productive has not been on my radar over the last few days.  I've needed 10 hours of sleep to function.  I have however been making lots of lists.  Does that count?   I LOVE writing lists.  And I love checking them off.  If I forgot to put something on there that I took care of, yes, I'm one of those people (please tell me there are others) who may actually add it to the list just to check it off.  Not always, but sometimes, yes. Yes, I do. 



So, I thought I'd share a list with you...



1. shower - done. Since I don't live alone and I do have to return to society.



Okay, how about another list, but not a New Year's resolutions list.  I'd like to smoosh together Thanksgiving and Christmas and share some of the things that when I reflect back on the year, they make me smile.  These are a few things that I am thankful for no matter how many crazy things might have preceded or followed, because the truth is, time freaking flies and I don't want to forget the little things along the way that made it a good year, a good day or gave me a good laugh along the way.  There were definitely some rough spots this year, but I am a glass half full kinda girl.



Here goes it (in no particular order):
  1. FOOD: a very generous family gave us the gift of a share at a CSA to get fresh veggies, herbs and flowers every week, June - October... seriously, the best gift. I cried. 
  2. BABIES: one of my best friends had a beautiful baby boy this summer, which I completely melt over whenever I see him or just think of him. He's perfect in every way.  And it's amazing to see how fantastic my two friends are at being parents.  If you are interested in reading her blog, check it out at hairybabies... I always get a good laugh.  Just on time. Brittany is an incredibly talented writer and is just the funniest gal I know.  She'll be guest posting on my blog soon, so stay tuned.
  3. MORE BABIES via SKYPE: speaking of babies, another dear friend of mine is about to have her 1st baby in the coming days.  So this thanks goes out to SKYPE, because of which I was able to do monthly "check ups" and watch the baby bump grow in Scotland from here in Washington state. 
  4. MY NEW YORKER FRIEND: because she adds "Rs" to words just because. And most importantly, her laugh.  Ssshhhhh... if you listen carefully, you can probably hear it, no matter where you are.  I LOVE her laugh. It is so full of joy and love for life.  And she has the smile to match it. 
  5. FAR FROM HOME, BUT NOT: somehow living 3000 miles away from my home has not seemed so far. I've been able to see my family, visit with co-workers, see my closest friends, be there for babies being born, graduations, birthdays and dinner time. 
  6. HOT YOGA: Because I like detoxing publicly alongside several hairy, sweating, groaning men.  No, not really. Why is it that the last couple times I've gone, I've been cornered by male yogis who attempt the head stand positions when they can't even tie their shoes in the upright position?  I mean... good job guys. Keep up the hard work. Anyway, I've come to totally enjoy hot yoga. It makes me slow down, breathe, turn my mind off and strengthen my muscles.  I feel graceful (for a change).
  7. PRAYER: I've experienced the power of prayer like I have never experienced in my life this year.  My faith has been rocked in the most incredible way.  And all I can say is God is good and He does come through.
  8. SEAWEED, FARMS, HERBS: OK, for my friends/fam back in VA, just because I put weed and herbs in the same sentence, don't be alarmed (or disappointed, depending on who you are). I know you think I am going to a hippie school out here and get a little concerned when I mention how much I love "herbs."  Fear not.  I truly mean culinary herbs and medicinal ones.  I am incredibly grateful for getting to take some trips this summer that sowed into things I am passionate about and aided my learning... seaweed harvesting & kayaking off Lopez Island, spending a week at the amazing Quillisascut Farm in Eastern WA and touring herb farms and manufacturers throughout Oregon for 8 days. I loved all of it. Minus the part where I almost sliced off my left index finger on one of the camping trips.  It's till numb, but that's another post, another day.
  9. MUSIC: Seeing my favorite band play, TWICE!  The Classic Crime.
  10. SCHOOL: I love my school (Bastyr University) and all the classes I have taken.  Everyday, I'm just grateful to be here, doing what I love and learning what I feel passionate about. 
So, in pickled fashion and BEFORE THE NEW YEAR takes over, I encourage you to sit back and meditate a little bit on this last year.  Think about the good things, no matter how big, small or few --- and just smile at them for a moment.  And if you're up for it, do leave a comment and share one or two of those things.  I'd love to hear.


Below are a few random pictures of mine from this past year that I'm grateful for and that make me smile.



I hope 2010 was a blessed year for you and that 2011 brings another one that is full of good laughs, good food, good health and good times with family and friends.

Cooking delicious food!  Above mentioned lasagna; recipe to be posted at a later date. 
(It's not a very photogenic lasagna, but it was very good!)
 Harvesting bullwhip kelp off Lopez Island.
 Hiking at Mt. Rainier, 80F in the snow!

 Dale and me taking walks at our favorite parks by our house...

 A stunning view of Mt. Si in the Cascades, one of our favorite hikes in Northbend.

Enjoyed a little mud bogging before the hike... letting all our BumpASS, VA hang out.

 Of course, the best ice cream shop in Seattle, Molly Moon's...
salted caramel, balsamic strawberry, honey lavender!!!!!
 If you visit, this is a MUST!

The Classic Crime - at the Showbox in Seattle debuting new album: Vagabonds.
 A phenomenal view of Mt. Rainier from our driveway. It never gets old. Ever.

 I got to see my dear friend Jess in Vancouver, CAN; it's been a year = too long. 
Darn the visa process.  Let my friend out of your country to visit me!!  Ay?

Heirloom tomatoes from Quillisascut Farm.
Nothing compares.

The baby that wins spot #2 on my list.  See - adorable.

 Visited a permaculture homestead on Orcas Island and learned too many amazing things to mention...
stuff like solar powered energy...most fascinating trip.

 Took a trip to the Olympic Peninsula; one of my favorite spots, La Push Beach.

 We had our photos taken by the lovely and talented Bethany Schiedel,
a Vancouver, BC portrait photographer (Images by Bethany).

 Lots of trips to local farmer's markets (pike place in this picture)...

 I painted (with acrylic and palette knives) for the 1st time, thanks to my friend Amy. 
I've always wanted to start and didn't know where to begin.  And, I get to wear an apron and use knives, just like in the kitchen.

Here's a three-for. 
Trip to Oregon visiting an herb farm, with New Yorker friend and my mutilated finger in the back drop.

 And I leave you with a picture I stumbled upon this morning that my husband drew for me.  This makes me smile. I can't help it. 
Anyone else like the pickle bear?

Cheers and Happy New Year!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Shelley....love your blog!! Looking forward to more recipes.....many blessings in 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracy! More recipes will be coming - stay tuned : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the photo of us! and the title to it :) i'm thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Your hairy baby profile made me laugh 2. I love the inspiration for you blog. I recently bought the recipe book Clean Food to help me along the way and 3. The story of your husband, the plane, and your yawn made me laugh as well...mine does this too...and I immediately ask him if he knows where his hands have been! hahah Cheers to a New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roxy! Thanks for stopping by my blog and dropping a comment. I checked out yours as well and really liked the photography as well as your writing style. And hey, what would we do without goofy husbands? Happy New Year : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh i love how you write!
    especially the part where dale sticks his finger in your mouth then says "woops..." bwahaha! g-ross!
    and the part about hot yoga. haha...

    thanks also for the link :)
    love you!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind!

Click the comments link below the post to share your thoughts.