Thursday, December 2, 2010

Call Me Miso



One of my teachers handed me a jar full of broth and 2 containers of miso today, followed by “You look like you could use this…”

Um, thanks? Actually, yes, THANK YOU!
Miso is exactly what I need to boost my system right now. I can hardly spell S L E E P let alone get enough of it. I’m feeling run down. My brain is cramping and my eyes scream how tired and overwhelmed I feel. Clearly, it’s finals week.

As I write this, I am sipping on a cup of miso soup. I’m taking a break and just reminding myself to slow down and breathe.

I always keep miso in my fridge. It’s straight up, a medicinal powerhouse. 


Here’s the 101 on miso…


What is miso?
It’s a fermented, thick soy bean paste. It’s typically made of soy beans, rice and/or barley, salt and a bacterial culture called, koji. It’s a staple in Japanese cooking and has been around for about 2000 years because of its belief in promoting longevity through strengthening the body and preventing disease.


How is it made?
The legumes are cooked and then mixed with salt and a cultured grain (rice or barley with the koji bacteria). The mixture is allowed to ferment and typically aged in a wooden vat at ~90°F, from 2 months up to 3 years.


What does it taste like?
There are several varieties of miso that range in color from tan to dark browns; the darker it is the longer it has been fermented. The darker misos (reds, browns) are saltier, more robust and complex in flavor; more savory and pack more nutritional value. The white misos are more mellow, light, sweet and mild tasting and are probably a good place to start.

What are its benefits? 

- excellent source of protein, vitamins and minerals- contains living enzymes and friendly bacteria that aid digestion
- intensely nourishing to the gut (a good probiotic source)
- detoxifies heavy metals
- high in anti-oxidants and protects against free radicals
- anti-carcinogen
- alkalizing and helps promote resistance to disease
- strengthens blood and lymph
- strengthens immune system
- may help lower LDL cholesterol
- it’s very grounding and comforting
- slows signs of aging
- low in fat and calories
- protects against environmental toxins and exposure to radiation
(microwaves, cell phones, x-rays, CT Scans, nuclear, etc.)

***Research Dr. Shinichiro Akizuki and his studies from the 1945 atomic bombing victims in Japan.


Where do I buy it?
Check the cold section of your local natural foods market. Be sure it’s organic and unpasteurized. If it’s refrigerated, it’ll keep for several years.



How do I use it?
Energetically, the darker misos are better in the colder seasons and the lighter misos are better in the warmer seasons. You can use miso in place of salt or soy sauces; you can add it to marinades, dressings, spreads and dipping sauces.

The most common way is to use miso is to add it to soup or broth: place a tablespoon of miso in the bowls the soup will be served in and add the soup. Stir in to dissolve. Be sure to NOT cook miso over the high heat as this will destroy the beneficial enzymes and health promoting properties. If you desire to add miso to the whole pot of soup, then reserve a ½ cup of the soup in a small bowl and add your miso to that; mix until miso is dissolved and then add the mixture to the pot of soup; only allow to cook over low heat for a minute or so and then remove.

Here is a recipe by Cynthia Lair that I love,
Rosemary Red Soup. It has miso in it and is hands down the most gorgeous-colored soup I’ve ever seen! It serves as a lovely entree soup or appetizer. 

Here’s a very basic recipe for
miso soup by Heidi Swanson as well. I like to add ginger, garlic and toasted sesame oil to mine and serve over brown rice, which makes for a fabulous breakfast during the colder months.

You can call me miso because I am having a cup of this magic every morning and evening for the next week or so.

Note: Miso can be high in sodium so if there are health concerns, always consult your health provider.

4 comments:

  1. YUM! I'm in such a soup mood and this sounds wonderful. Plus i'm filled with heavy metals ;) I will check out heidi's recipe. Good luck with your finals, xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have yet to buy miso or nori, and i was thinking of making miso soup this week and adding some nori. some recipes call for dashi soup stock. have you used that beofore? i'm not sure if it's easy or hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. made miso soup today with a kombu broth. it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jessica! Dashi is a basic Japanese stock - typically with mushrooms, kombu and bonita flakes. You essentially made your own version with the kombu. I like to add wakame to miso soup as well.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind!

Click the comments link below the post to share your thoughts.